The features of the this ultimate GPS module are:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 66 channels
- Works with 5V and 20mA
- Breadboard friendly + two mounting holes
- RTC battery-compatible- it is not included
- Built-in datalogging
- PPS output on fix
- Internal patch antenna + u.FL connector for external active antenna
- Fix status LED
This GPS module has been designed around the MTK3339 chipset, and this high quality GPS module can track up to 22 satellites on 66 channels. It has a high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!) and a built in antenna.
It can make up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging or tracking. Power consumption is incredibly low, consumes only 20 mA during navigation.
There are some extra features which can be used later if you ever want it: a ultra-low dropout 3.3V regulator so you can power it with 3.3-5VDC supply, 5V level safe inputs. There is an ENABLE pin which can be used to turn off the module using any microcontroller pin or switch. There is a footprint for optional CD1220 that keep the RTC active and makes warm start and turns on tiny bright red LED.
The LED blinks at a frequency of 1Hz when it’s searching the satellites and blinks once every 15 seconds when a satellite is found to conserve power. If you want to have an LED on all the time, the module provides the FIX signal out on a pin so you can put an external LED on.
The two features that really stand out about this ultimate GPS module are:
- External antenna functionality
- The built in data-logging capability.
About external antenna functionality:
The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dB sensitivity.If you want to have a bigger antenna, you can snap on any 3V active GPS antenna via the uFL connector. The GPS module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over to the new one!
About Data logging capability:
The other important feature of this module is the data logging capability that Adafruit team has tested successfully. Since there is a microcontroller inside the module, with some empty FLASH memory, the newest firmware now allows sending commands to do internal logging to that FLASH. To achieve that, you need to have the microcontroller send the “Start Logging” command.
After the microcontroller sends the command, it can go to SLEEP mode and it can remain silent (it does not need to talk to the GPS). This save a lot of power. The time, date, longitude, latitude, and height is logged every 15 seconds and only when the GPS module finds a satellite.
The internal FLASH is capable of storing about 16 hours of data, it will save data even if the power is lost. It is not possible to change what is logged because it is hardcoded into the module
- Satellites: 22 tracking, 66 searching
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters (all GPS technology has about 3m accuracy)
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Vin range: 3.0-5.5VDC
- MTK3339 Operating current: 25mA tracking, 20 mA current draw during navigation
- Patch Antenna Size: 15mm x 15mm x 4mm
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- FCC E911 compliance and AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Multi-path detection and compensation
- MTK3329/MTK3339 command set sheet for changing the fix data rate, baud rate, sentence outputs, etc!
- LOCUS (built-in-datalogging system) user guide
- Datasheet for the PA6B (MTK3329) GPS module itself – used in version 1 of this module
- Datasheet for the PA6C (MTK3339) GPS module itself – used in version 2 of this module
- Datasheet for the PA6H (MTK3339) GPS module itself – used in version 3 of this module
- MT3339 GPS PC Tool (windows only) and the PC Tool manual
- Mini GPS tool (windows only)
- Library: Library for GPS usage, with background parsing and can set and query the built in GPS logging capability (called LOCUS).
EasyEDA: Ideas for Circuit Design, Innovation for Electronics Access
Free Circuit Design: Schematic - Simulation - PCB Layout - Gerber Viewer
JLCPCB Prototype & Small-batch PCB: Only $2 for 10pcs 10×10cm PCBs, 24 hours Quick Turn, DHL Delivery in 3 Days